Tuesday, February 16, 2010
1. Food is the #1 least recycled material.
2. The average American produces 4 lbs. of landfill waste per day; that’s more than 50 tons over a lifetime!
3. Food and paper are biodegradable in nature, but not in landfills due to lack of oxygen.
4. Food and paper are the two largest contributors to landfills and make up more than half of all landfill waste.
5. One ton of recycled paper can save up to 17 trees, 7,000 gallons of water and 4,000 kilowats of electricity.
(Source: www.smarthome.duke.edu/downloads/compost facts)